Monday, October 3, 2011

What a Difference One Year Can Make!

Every October, for at least as long as I've been with Patrick (nine years now, for those counting), the Philpot family has thrown one big birthday party for the whole family.  As the next generation of Philpots (and Moshers) has come along, each year has gotten more fun, so I was really excited to bring Madison to her first big birthday bash.

Pat and I actually found out we were pregnant  just a few days before last year's party.  We had decided to try to wait three months to tell anyone, first to be sure everything was okay, but mostly just to give ourselves time to adjust and have answers to the inevitable questions.  Here's the thing: Pat and I are terrible liars, which pretty much equates to being terrible secret-keepers, too. 

Patrick was soooo overprotective.  He hovered over me the ENTIRE party, asking me every fifteen minutes if I would like some more water.  When someone offered me a Dr. Pepper, he practically jumped over himself so he could make eye contact with me and remind me why I shouldn't have one.  As if I could forget!  Side note: yes, we did know that it's perfectly okay to have a moderate level of caffeine.  Unfortunately, as I was am a caffeine addict, we knew that "moderate consumption" wasn't a realistic expectation.  Therefore I gave it up cold turkey.  Yay for withdrawal headaches on top of morning (and afternoon, and evening) sickness.  When it was time for the main attraction, the tire swing, Pat almost had an aneurism when I climbed on.  He insisted on being the only one to push me, and I think I moved about a foot and a half in either direction.  Here's a shot from last year:
It's amazing how much can change in a year's time.  Of course, Pat was still a little overprotective of Madison, (as if I wasn't, too) but it seemed like everything else was different. 

For starters, we brought so much stuff that if we had added one more toy or apparatus, we would have needed to rent a trailer.  I should have taken a picture of the Explorer loaded down.  Ridiculous! 

Also, I actually brought something that I baked this year!  By myself!  Without the help of Betty Crocker (confession: we were always too cheap for Betty Crocker.  It would have been Great Value or nothing!)  I'll post later this week about my new favorite chocolate cookies. 

Finally, I took pictures!  Before Madison came along, I never understood all the fuss about taking pictures all of the time; I figured you could enjoy the moment more if there wasn't a camera in your face.  As a matter of fact, I stole that first picture of me and Pat from my sister-in-law's facebook page.  Thanks, Becky!  Now, I get panicky when I think I'm going to miss that Kodak (or Olympus, as the case may be) moment.

Now that I've bored you to tears, let me make up for it by sharing some pictures of Madison and friends. 
Enjoying some quality time with Grandma!
I always knew she was a rock star!
Madison's sweet cousin, Hannah
This picture made me look twice.  She's held securely, I promise!
Lila is Madison's ten month old cousin.  She was so much fun to watch on Saturday!  And isn't she beautiful?
The look on her face:  "What is Grandma doing on that old tire?"
My best picture of Grandma with the kiddos.  Becky, Christie, I hope you got one where everyone is looking up?
Ditto with Grandpa.  Notice that Madison found a new chew toy. 
This was way too much excitement for one day!
Ha ha ha ha...Matt: "What do I do with my hands?"
Madison's favorite new trick: "Hoo-ing" like an owl.  I love it!

What has changed for you in the last year?  Do you have a new baby, house, spouse, or job?  (hopefully not in that order :P )

-Kelli

1 comment:

  1. Such a great group of pictures. Love the difference in how Uncle Matt holds Madi, compared to how her Daddy holds her. So enjoyed getting to have time with all my loved ones. dorothy

    PS Loved the cookies:)

    ReplyDelete