Thursday, April 5, 2012

An Apple a Day Keeps the...Veterinarian Away?

Last night, Bella ate the leftover portion of my apple.  First, she nibbled all the remaining fruit around the core while Patrick turned it for her like a rotisserie chicken.  She used her front teeth, just like we do.  I've never seen a dog do anything like this.  Once it was clean, just to see what she would do with it, he gave her the core.  She broke it into two pieces, ate them both, then politely spit the stem out onto the floor.  Literally all that was left was stem and slobber.  

In other news, Madison is now crawling.  She started scooting on 3/31/12 (Saturday), then decided on Tuesday night that crawling was the way to go.  She was pretty far behind on her physical milestones, I think mostly because I caved too easily when she would get frustrated with her tummy time.  Oddly enough, right around the time I decided to let her fuss a little longer on the floor, she learned to move herself.  In the last week, she has learned:
  • how to go from a sitting position to on her tummy without slamming her face into the ground every time
  • how to go from her tummy to a sitting position
  • how to scoot
  • how to crawl
  • how to pull up on objects (and or people)
  • how to sit back down
  • how to cruise on an object (but not go from one object to another)
  • how to read (you know what I mean) books without eating them
  • how to wave bye bye.
It's like she's decided to quit, cold turkey, being a baby.  She cries so much less now.  If she wants something, she goes and gets it!  It's strange how this has made my job easier and more difficult at the same time.  She's a lot easier to be around now, because she's not miserable all day, but at the same time, I'm terrified that she'll pull up on something unstable and crack her head on the hard floor if I'm distracted for even a second. 

And she moves so quickly now.  Our office is also her play room, so the other day I was reading a funny email while she was playing with a book.  I glanced over to check on her, and she had scooted (this was before the crawling thing, now she's even faster) all the way across the room and was enthusiastically sucking on Bella's chew toy.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that I'm a terrible mommy/doggy-mommy.  I give dog toys to my baby and apple seeds to my dog. 

Let's play the "make Kelli feel better about herself as a caregiver" game.  How have you screwed up in your job this week?  Or ever?  Feel free to make up a story if you don't have any real-life failures that compare.  I don't plan to fact check; I'll be too busy trying to be a human airbag.

-Kelli

2 comments:

  1. So we already thought that Bella was a cool dog, but now she is awesome! lol Where did y'all get her? We may have to get one from the same place.:)Oh and don't feel bad about Madi and the chew toy... when Joey was two he saw a roach outside and ate it. Just like that. I about threw up, but he didn't care and so far it hasn't scarred him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kelli your friend has you beat on this one. So funny, but not at the time of course!!!

    ReplyDelete